Five Minutes to Fairytale Photos ~ Rule of Thirds

I think that the magic of a Disney vacation exists in three wonderful parts: the dreaming of planning, the pixie dust moments during trip itself and the memories you take with you for years to come.
Since I can't live in the Cinderella Castle Suite or even on property year round, pictures help bring a bit of the fairytale back into my everyday life.
In my enthusiastic pursuit of remembering the Magic, I take hundreds of my own pictures every vacation and hope to share a bit of my experience with you.
Get curious with your iPhone's camera options and you will stumble across the option labeled simply "grid." I highly recommend you flip that option to the on position.

Grid on
"Okay, what's the big deal?" you say.  "Now I get to take pictures while looking at them with stripes. Is it supposed to help me center the frame or something?"
Well no, not exactly. The grid is marking out thirds across the visual space that will be your photo. The "rule of thirds," a fancy name for the photography idea that placing items of interest either along these lines or at their intersections creates more interesting, artistically pleasing photos. Want to learn more about the theory and history of this "rule" try here at Wikipedia. Helmsman Mickey will help me demonstrate:

Centered
Rule of Thirds
Peculiarly enough, after the completion of it's current drydock, they will be moving Helmsman Mickey more off center in the atrium. More information on the drydock can be found here and here.
Another example with the lovely chandelier:

Centered
IMG_2882
Rule of Thirds
Off center? Definitely. Interesting? Of Course. Now I don't like hard and fast rules for photography, so take this as a suggestion and have fun with it!

“Just keep swimming. Just Keep Swimming.”
~Dori Finding Nemo
So get out there, make mistakes, get a little off center with the rule of thirds, try a shot that shouldn't work, but might and see what fairytale photos follow you home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Cruise Line 101 ~ What Not To Wear

DCL 101 | The Ultimate List of Disney Cruise Tips and Tricks!

Top 10 Family Friendly 4th of July Movies