Let It Go | Homeschool Diaries

I loved starting our homeschool last June (especially since I had the benefit of a few mentors and friends who were happy to lend me a little good advice for a brand new homeschooler). By the end of my first week of homeschool, I had figured out a few things on my own. By the end of our first forty days of homeschool, I could've practically written a book with all the things I learned.
In reality, there are only two things you need to know before you jump into homeschooling.


Homeschool Diaries | Homeschool 101
The only two things you need to know before you start homeschooling.

If I started afresh tomorrow, I'd send my self a note that said two things:

1.) Murphy's Law-Things Will Go Wrong
Sometimes your best laid plans will need to slide for a sick day or a mental health break. It's okay to let the little things go.


Snacks and Read Alouds go hand in hand.
Homemade Donuts and Homer Price
Once you've picked a curriculum, stocked up on more pencils and crayons than anyone could possibly need and organized to the best of your ability, it's time to get a good homeschool friend or two. Mine remind me that Project Homeschool is just one day at once. If it is marvelous, we share and celebrate the moment. If my husband is out of town on work and the second beta fish dies in under a week, they commiserate, talk me out of risking a third fish and help me clear my head to start afresh. God offers us this same love and mercy.
Free mercy.
It's up to us to let it go.

2.) Just Keep Teaching
Things will turn out in the end.


Top Two Tips for New Homeschoolers!
Just Keep Teaching. Just Keep Teaching. What do we do? We teach!
All of those wonderful days and mistakes and sunlit afternoons reading on the couch add up. Though you may not notice it in the day to day, one day someone will point out how much they've learned.

Homeschool IRL:
When you don't even care that they're hanging upside down off the sofa so long as they're doing independent reading.
You'll realize she finally learned to read smoothly; your son's starting to write more neatly; they're both little book worms with quirks and passions and it is all worth it.
There are so many blessings hiding beyond the uncertainty (and sometimes outright fear) of starting homeschool.
It is all worth it.

For more tips for your first year of homeschool, visit the March blog party!

To join up next month, check out the link below.

Sonlight Blog Party

Comments

Post a Comment

A comment? How magical!

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Cruise Line 101 ~ What Not To Wear

DCL 101 | The Ultimate List of Disney Cruise Tips and Tricks!

Top 10 Family Friendly 4th of July Movies