Five Minutes to Fairytale Photos ~ Come to the Dark Side

I think that the magic of a Disney vacation exists in three wonderful parts: the dreaming of planning, the pixie dust moments during trip itself and the memories you take with you for years to come.
Since I can't live in the Cinderella Castle Suite or even on property year round, pictures help bring a bit of the fairytale back into my everyday life.
In my enthusiastic pursuit of remembering the Magic, I take hundreds of my own pictures every vacation and hope to share a bit of my experience with you.
One of the first things you learn when taking pictures is that, ideally, the light should be relatively behind you and your subject in front of you. In this way the light shines on the subject and you get a clearer view of whomever you are photographing. Which is nice idea most of the time but sometimes, it's a good idea to take a trip to the dark side.
At the beginning of this basketball game, I took a few action shots of Chris shooting some hoops.

IMG_1453

Nothing is really wrong with the picture, the diagonals of the court are pretty interesting and I managed to catch an action shot on my iPhone without motion blur. I really love the lighting at this time of the morning, because of the way it makes skin look luminescent and just magical and warm. Let's see what happens when I throw out logic and shoot into the rising sun.

IMG_1455
And we've got ourselves a silhouette.
I love this silhouette, with the exception of the pole coming out of my son's head. (Next week's lesson, check the background carefully! I told you, I'm still learning.) I love the way the lighting emphasizes the ball and hoop and all the interesting textures in the interplay of the clouds and the netting over the court. I love the shadows. I love the dark spaces.
"When you're curious you find lots of interesting things to do."
Walt Disney
So get out there, make mistakes, try the wrong lighting, try a shot that shouldn't work, but might and see what fairytale photos follow you home.

IMG_1660
And one silhouette for the road

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disney Cruise Line 101 ~ What Not To Wear

DCL 101 | The Ultimate List of Disney Cruise Tips and Tricks!

Top 10 Family Friendly 4th of July Movies